Internationally research has shown that community organisations often lack capacity in areas such as financial management, reporting and monitoring of projects. Many community organisations also lack sufficient funding. Without dynamic websites and other marketing tools and when their financial administration and support functions are not on levels that enable them to be sustainable, such organisations find it increasingly difficult to raise funds from large donors.
In the greater Stellenbosch there are more than a hundred community organisations doing commendable work on a wide range of causes. Many will benefit with help to prepare financial statements, marketing and fundraising campaigns and business plans. Often the primary aid or development done by these organisations take up so much of their time that little is left for monitoring their effectiveness. SOS wants to help organisations with these functions, so that they can concentrate on their core function, to help those who are poor and vulnerable in society. By assisting organisations in the greater Stellenbosch to build capacity, especially in administrative and management support and in reporting and monitoring, SOS will help organisations to perform their core activities better and with improved effect.
- SOS assists community organisations with financial management, reporting, strategic planning, monitoring, administrative and marketing systems, thereby helping them to quality assure their use of funds;
- Build capacity through courses, seminars and assistance;
- Make funds and professional staff assistants available to organisations;
- Ensure long-term sustainability of organisations that will strengthen one another and also strengthen civil society;
- Work towards a civil society where the power is shared by many and resources distributed fairly;
- Create a society where people are able to change their own lives, influence their region and eventually their country’s development and eradicate poverty themselves.
Visit their website for more information: http://www.ngosos.co.za/